Remember how I said I was going to crochet some hairnets to find the right design for Eleanor's caul? Well I have been crocheting snoods, varying the sizes, getting distracted by extant boudoir caps, making beanies because it's cold, had a few 'that's not right' moments and I've learnt a lot.
- left and top left: blonde snoods - when I choose the yarns for these 2 they looked nearly identical inside their plastic wrap, the results couldn't be more different.
- the browns from top to bottom: brunette snoods in plain, pearl beads and gold thread - although the same brown yarn was used for all 3 of them, the addition of pearl beads and gold thread really makes a difference to the look and feel.
- bottom: Juliet caps in fine white crochet cotton, the large one on the left has gold thread incorporated and worked the best, next to that is an attempt at a smaller mesh with silver thread and below that a plain cotton with pearl beads but without the metallic thread it doesn't hold it's shape as well as the others.
- top right: a hair bun net that I turned into a small reticule, not quite finished until the ends are stitched in and drawstring added.
- far right: My early Victorian cap interpretation, I made the pattern up as I went inspired by extant examples. Also not quite finished.
|Cap 1850 - 1860 National Trust|
|ca. 1860 cotton American|
referenced to the Met Museum via Pinterest
however I could not find it in
their on-line collection records