Purfylle: Le Pompe Lace Project Complete

Recent Posts

Le Pompe Lace Project Complete

I was dithering about what to do with the incomplete Le Pompe lace project that was all curly.

But I needed the bobbins to finish caul v.2 and I needed to dismantle the bolster so I could make the bigger better bolster.

In the end I decided I would do just a little bit more on it to see if making the plaits a little looser had much of an effect on the curling. The lace had also been pinned in place for umm, well since last time I blogged about it.

I was looking forward to finding out if
leaving the lace on the bolster pillow for a while made a difference to the curling too.

the twisting conundrum

Here's what the curling looked like. On the right is the really tightly curled section from making lace in the traditional fashion and on the left is the not quite as curly section from working lace 'backwards'. I used a bit of white yarn to mark where I made the transition from one method to the other.

I got all of one motif done when this happened.

broken bobbin lace yarn

Decision made!

square lace bobbin I could have joined the yarn back in but I figured it was time to:
  1. claim my bobbins back so they can be used to complete WIP caul v.2
  2. declutter a little by simply dismantling the tin & towel bolster pillow,
  3. complete the le pompe lace WIP; and
  4. enable the completion of the even bigger bolster WIP (the one that was waiting for the woollen blanket whenever the tin & towel bolster got dismantled) Which will also have a magic decluttering side effect once all the components are all together. 

What's that I hear you ask? What's the little blue thingy on my bobbin? I'm so glad you asked. Well that's a  crystal gem sticker thingy and it helps me to identify the bobbin, keeps it from rolling or scooting anywhere I don't want it to, is completely removable and non-permanent and looks pretty. (yes, I know they're square bobbins to stop them rolling but they get away from me sometimes, and yes those are affiliate links and the exact bobbins I use)

So I cut the bobbins off and started removing pins.

The lace was looking pretty good for holding it's shape fairly well at this stage .

removing pins from bobbin lace

I removed more pins and started to think it was going to go all out of shape after all.

removing the final pins from the design

With all the pins removed it wasn't looking to bad.

all bobbin lace pins removed

I carefully slipped it off the cushion and it looks like this. 

the finished piece - overcoming twisty bobbin lace

Which just goes to show how important leaving your lace to set is. Huh. So I really do need that big bolster pillow.

2 comments:

  1. Looks neat - thanks for linking up in the linky party ... Jewelsofsayuri

    ReplyDelete