Mayonnaise might last longer, but is bland and the thick consistency can make it difficult to mix through salad.
In a moment of inspiration hubby made his own salad cream. It tasted great and we keep making it for our salads.
This is a super easy, super fast recipe that you make up as you need it. When I say it takes 2 minutes to make, most of that time is spent digging around in your fridge and cupboards pulling out all the ingredients and spoons and things.
As usual my measurements are very precise (not at all), so I thought I had better provide a measurement conversion chart.
dallop = approximately one table spoon
splash = 1-3 tablespoons
some = to taste or about a teaspoon
sprinkle = to taste
Salad Cream Recipe
- a couple of dallops of whole egg mayonnaise (mayo)
- a dallop of cream cheese
- a splash of verjuice (or lemon or vinegar)
- some hot English mustard
- Add the mayo, cream cheese and mustard into a bowl.
- Splash in some verjuice and mix.
- Add more verjuice if the consistency or flavour calls for it.
- Sprinkle in some salt and pepper and give it a mix.
- Taste and deem it yum (or adjust as needed).
Pour it onto your salad.
Toss salad and serve.
Make it a meal!
Turn your salad into a meal by adding the protein of your choice.
I had fried roast lamb leftovers.
Hubby had fried chorizo sausage.
Anything that makes salad more appealing to my meat loving hubby is a total win in my book.