Purfylle: May 2014

Recent Posts

Tampico inspired bustle progress

The stash yielded some counter-change polyester in a blueish shade and some purple which I used for bias binding. I played with a few different ruffle methods until I found one I was happy with. 

ruffles 

Tampico Bustle

You may have noticed two missing dimensions in my previous post, waist and length.  I did some guess work on ruffle lengths, referenced some other bustle pads and used my own waist as a bit of a guesstimate, but a bit more bustle research showed up this image of the 1886 Tampico bustle on Pinterest. I haven't found a source for the image yet.
Tampico Daisy Bustle 1886

Bustle - Analysis of Dimensions

Tampico style bustle
1880 Bustle - Met Museum Accession Number: C.I.38.23.282

1880 Bustle

Slump Hump

I've been in a bit of a creativity slump.  This happens every now and then and always passes. I find the best thing to do is change projects, something new that is inspiring and gives you that costuming thrill, something that gets the creative juices flowing and makes you impatient to get started. Suddenly you've lost hours in researching the heck out of it, delving into the depths of your stash hunting that 'thing' you bought a decade ago that you knew would be just perfect for something one day and you'd almost forgot you even had. The kind of project that is the last thing you think about before falling asleep and the first thing you think about when you wake up.  You've just got to make it!

Yeah, well that was the kind of project I was looking for. I've been entrenched in Renaissance stuff for a while now and I knew it was time to mix things up a bit because every time I considered a Renaissance project a part of me would twitch and groan. There's still lots I want to make from the Renaissance period but I need a bit of a break from it so it becomes fun and interesting again. Budget limitations mean I have to work completely from my fabric stash which limits what I can make, especially since much of the fabric stash is already pegged for another project, or there's a reason it hasn't already been used (like it's horrible synthetic). Finding new inspiration that worked within the limitations of the fabric stash wasn't helping with getting over that slump hump.

But I found it! I found my inspiration garment and it's perfect for dubious stash fabric. Well at least if it works out and the fabric is hideous no-one will know! (well accept for you and me of course)


Tampico style bustle 1880
1880 Bustle - Met Museum Accession Number: C.I.38.23.282

Update

I did get the Dorothea Maria gown finished but I haven't taken photos yet which is one of the reason's why I haven't provided an update.

Other things that have been happening include; making up patterns for Svante and Nils Sture Doublets from Janet Arnold's Patterns of Fashion with varying success, changing over to a new computer and sorting out all my data, job hunting, planting out our new nature strip courtesy of our local council, replacing the kitchen splash-back, sorting my wardrobe to figure out what still fits and watching 'Deadwood' and being inspired to get started on Victorian garments (but that job might have to come first so I can buy lots of fabric).