Stays / Corset
Red Renaissance Corset / Stays
Fabric:interlining - denim
shell fabric - 100% cotton
bias binding - light weight furnishing cotton damask
Pattern:Adapted from the 1562 Eleanora di Toledo Gown bodice.
Notions:3 colours of thread from the thread stash one of which was a pretty embroidery thread.
1 x 40 mtr reel of 2.4mm nylon trimmer line - red (used to make 2 corsets)
I wanted to use red trimmer line because my fabrics were all red/pink shades and it was a fairly common practice during the 16th C to use materials of the same shade as the outer fabric for all of the construction materials. I have personally learnt the benefits of doing just that and do so whenever possible.
How historically accurate is it?Not very. This was an experimental piece. There is no proof any such garment existed.
Hours to complete:I can't remember how much time I had spent on it initially. However to get it from the state it was in to actually finished took about three hours which includes hunting for the bias binding.
For the challenge photos.
Trimmer line approx $15
Construction ProcessI started making this pre-blog I think. Certainly long enough ago that I've forgotten stuff, like how long it took to make, why I did things one way and not the other. Why I didn't take more notes or if I did where I put them. I certainly didn't take construction photos for the blog, sorry about that.
Regardless, I have written about them previously and you can read my earlier posts on these stays here and here. I also went hunting in my pattern stashes and found my pattern drafts and I can show you those.
Until I dug out the patterns I couldn't remember if it was the Eleanora or the Pisa gown that I used as the base for this pattern. It's based off the Eleanora di Toledo gown bodice, not the bodies/stays but the actual bodice.
Here is the front of the bodice pattern laid on top of the first draft of the corset pattern.
The back of the corset pattern on top of the back of the bodice pattern.
This is the first mock-up.
If you try to cut tabs in after already stitching in boning and the boning was not positioned with cutting tabs in mind you get crazy stuff like this bit sticking out. This is just one of the reasons this piece remains a UFO (unfinished object).
I zig zagged the edges to stop fraying while I had a think about what to do and you can see on the left that I trialled a machine stitched button hole finish for the tabs.That wasn't terribly successful either.
I kept the length the same at the front, but moved the tabs down so they would sit at the waist which would keep the corset positioned correctly and stop it from slipping down.
The best part is that is one more item that is no longer a UFO or WIP!