I found this incredibly soft Cleckheaton superfine wool in black and ox blood. The colours work so well together.
I didn't have a plan for what to make with it, but this yarn was just too beautiful not to buy.
I decided to try my hand at an entrelac project, which went well until I added the edge to the first square. No amount of blocking is going to result in getting this square to lay flat. My only option is to remove the edging and try again. I put my project aside and that's the stage it's been at ever since.
Instead of continuing with that project I decided to make a beanie from the rest of the yarn and thought I would give a spiral pattern a shot. I found this pin as inspiration and the pattern is free in all sizes (just click through to the website from the pin)
I worked up the adult size pattern and it fitted hubby just perfectly. I followed the pattern for the increases and then just eye-balled the length from there. For my last four rows of the beanie I used half double crochet instead of double crochet.
Whenever I talk about using hdc hubby always comments that only crafters would be silly enough for a half a double to mean something different then a single.
This beanie also makes a great yarn bowl if you turn the brim over an inch or so.