Purfylle: HSM April - July

Recent Posts

HSM April - July

The last 4 months illustrate exactly why I was hesitant to participate in the Historical Sew Monthly. I haven't done a thing since March!

Actually that's not entirely true. I have unpicked all the last minute hasty stitching on the Big Froufy Costume and it is now awaiting me to make new stays so I can do a proper fitting.

I have also finished redoing the hooks and eyes on the Dorothea Maria Gown. The gown has also been cleaned although it still needs to be ironed and photographed properly.

Dorothea Maria Von Sulzbach style gown c1639 - complete and in need of an iron



Lets review what I had planned for the last four months.
April – War & Peace: - I didn't have any idea what I might do and I didn't find time for research. Inevitably nothing happened. 
May – Practicality: I knew I didn't have suitable fabric for this challenge and had vague ideas of making some tablet woven guards instead of sewing a garment. I've found several tablet weaving projects over the last four months that remain UFO's. It's probably for the best that I didn't start another. 
tablet weaving projects


June – Out of Your Comfort Zone: I had to sort through my costumes and decide which ones it's time to say goodbye to. That's really out of my comfort zone! It's not exactly a submitable project but I'm counting June as accomplished. 
July – Accessorize: I thought I might make a fan but the closest I got was photographing a fan from my collection. The lighting wasn't great so they might need to be taken again. 
Victorian fan
It's the colder months and this year arthritis set in with the cold weather, slowing me down a lot. Besides, the sewing room has no heating and I'm just not all that inspired to tackle projects when I still have so much to do around here.

What about August? Is it going to be any different? I don't know, probably not. The garden is going to take a lot of my spare time this month. I am just taking things one step at a time.


6 comments:

  1. Your Dorothea Maria Gown is beautiful! I like the lace you used on it. Taking creative projects ( and everything else) one step at a time is the only thing we can really do. It's just a bunch of little steps added up. Or that's what I try to tell myself, anyways! I have a dauntingly high number of UFOs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to laugh when I read about your 'dauntingly high number of UFO's' I've estimated I have around 200 UFO's! The hard part is not starting anything new until I've worked through them all.

      I have been saving that lace for years and I had always thought I would use it on an Eleanora di Toledo gown, but I love it paired with this wool.

      Delete
    2. Oh my! That's quite a few! I've had too many at some points but I eventually had to get rid of some UFOs (eternally unfinished! poor babies) due to a lack of space and storage. I've been trying really hard to work through my UFOs. It's challenging though. The beginning is the fun part ;)

      Delete
    3. You're so right - the beginning IS the fun part. I didn't realise I had so many until I started to try and count them.

      Delete
  2. Wow, "sew" much work! I have to do quick sewing projects, don't have the patience any more! But. I'm in awe of your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so rewarding to finish a big project but I do like to do some quick ones to for instant gratification. It's funny how I don't have the patience to fix a hem on a work skirt but I'll happily sew a 5 meter hem on a costume, patience is relative I suppose.

      Delete