I couldn't bring myself to just toss it even though it is a funny slubby cotton.
I wound the yarn off the cone and washed it. After washing the yarn I would then wind it onto the cardboard centres from yarn I've already used. As you can see I'm not risking it getting icky again, I'm using zip lock bags to keep everything clean.
Initially I began working large granny squares but I had to abandon that idea as the yarn gets all twisty as you work it. Then I moved onto all sorts of fancy little squares when I realised how difficult they would be to fit together.
Although it was not my plan to be working on this project very much at all this winter - because I intended to work on my knitting UFO and the Tunisian crochet UFO - I have found myself gravitating towards working the little granny squares instead.
Working these little squares is very gratifying because I can work one up fairly quickly and feel as though I have achieved something. Working one little square gives me the satisfaction of doing some crafting without being so much that I aggravate my complaining joints. Being able to do even a little bit helps keep me sane.
I'm convinced I have some more of those granny squares somewhere, and it's driving me a little bonkers not being able to find them. I'm sure they will turn up as I start delving into decluttering the sewing and crafting stuff.
This is one more project to add to my Projects List.