Lately I have been pondering the question:
'What is essential in my sewing space?'
The current situation is that even though I could use the stuff that's in my sewing room I can't really work in there without it becoming a huge mess very quickly.
Every time I try to focus on this question I feel overwhelmed and I don't really know the answers.
There's the really obvious stuff.
- I need my sewing machine.
- The sewing machine needs to be on a table; and
- it needs power;
- which means I need an extension cord.
- I need a chair to sit at the table.
- I need good lighting to see what I'm sewing.
But after that I start to get confused. There's all those sewing consumables. I need them or I can't sew anything.
I start to do a mental inventory.
- Do I need my overlocker?
- Do I need my other overlocker? It's really old but it's all set up for rolled hems and my new machine sucks at rolled hems.
- Do I need my vintage sewing machine(s)?
- Do I need my dress form(s)?
- Do I need all of my reels of thread?
- Do I need my cutting table?
- Do I need my reference books?
- Do I need my patterns?
- Do I need my notes?
- Do I need all of my notions?
- Do I need all of my measuring equipment and tools?
- Do I need all of my sewing machine maintenance equipment?
- Do I need my vintage collection? (Well of course not but I don't have anywhere else to store it, and I can give several good reasons why it is extremely useful and important to me. )
- Do I need all of my yarn?
- Do I need all of my UFO's?
- Do I need my dress form padding?
- Do I need everything in the tool cabinet?
- Do I need the old school desk?
- Do I need the cat feeding table?
- Do I need the old school bench that I have my collection stored on? (different too the school desk)
- Do I need my hat boxes and hats?
- Do I need my binders?
- Do I need all the stuff in my binders?
- Do I need my lace making equipment?
- Do I need my rug (UFO) basket?
- Do I need my bag of heavy weight fabric remnants?
- Do I need all those buttons?
- Do I need all the boxes full of precious fabric?
- Do I need my spinning wheel?
- Do I need.................the list goes on.
My first answer to all of those question is "YES, I need it!' But surely that can't be true? And it's not, the real answer is 'No' to almost everything accept a needle and thread, shears and a piece of fabric.
So it seems that asking 'Is X essential?' is not the right question.
What is the right question?
There is always the Konmari method everyone is talking about where you ask 'Does this spark joy?' That doesn't much help either. The answer is pretty much 'Yes' to that question.
I guess I'll be sharing all of my musings about each item one by one as I try to figure it all out.
What do you think is essential?