A while ago (okay, a long while ago) I started painting our entrance. Our entrance/hallway which has 6 doors, high ceilings, furniture and a constant flow of stuff is not the easiest of places to paint.
Add to that the fact our house is about a 100 years old, and painting is outright hard work. Preparing the walls takes a lot longer then in a newer house.
To prepare walls for painting usually you just need to wash them. In our house that's the least of your worries. You have to scrape off old paint, wallpaper and bad plaster, then you can sand, fill and sand again.
By the time you've finished doing all of that there won't be any part of the wall that hasn't been sanded back negating any need to wash them, so that's a bonus, however you still have to remove all the plaster dust, which gets absolutely everywhere.
And that's what I've been doing over the last couple of days.
Our entrance way is a funny sort of L-shape with a hallway part and a small sort of squarish bit at the end for all those doors.
When I painted the first section of our entrance I only did up to the height of the wall paper-strip, which is the same height as the doors. I had planned to use a different colour for the top part of the walls.
Since then we've purchased an extension pole for the paint rollers so I can reach those high spaces without having to muck around on top of a scary ladder. It took a bit of hunting but we also found a scraper and a sanding pad that attaches to the pole.
Which meant that this time I could paint right up to the ceiling (the ceiling is a problem for another day) so I will have to go back and do the top section of the wall I'd already painted. I also think using just one colour makes this small space feel bigger.
If I include that top bit plus the last remaining wall I still have the long part of the 'L' to paint, which you can sort of see off to the left in the below photo. The difference to the space is already huge despite the work that still needs to be done.
The entrance is a really dark part of the house - I had to add quite a bit of fill light to these shots - and still needs new light fixtures, however the paint has already brightened up the space. This time I was able to get a few shots to show you, thanks to the extra space at this end of the hallway plus the extra lighting from the adjoining rooms. The paint looks darker then it does in real life, it's almost white
I can hardly wait to get to work on finishing these walls.
Project started:November 2014 - Entrance walls
Last worked on the project:Yesterday
Still to do:
- one more wall
- top section of the first wall
- everything that isn't walls
Update on Previous Projects
Was there progress?No. The painting consumed all of my spare time and I've been good about keeping away from the crochet.
For those who have been following the progress of my silly shoulder complaints and might be concerned about the effects painting might have, I do have to be careful when painting as it can cause my subscapularis to flare-up, but it also helps to strengthen the muscles.
So long as I pay attention to what my shoulders are telling me I can push to the point my muscles start to complain but don't end up all inflamed or strained. Strengthening the muscles will help to rectify my bursitis which is currently keeping my crochet and computer time to a minimum (they are the sorts of receptive tasks that can cause bursitis.)
I've been sticking with my shoulder exercise regime and it's definitely helping, I just wish it were an overnight fix, sadly it's slow and steady and exercises from now until forever.
That's it for another week of #FinishItFriday. Happy Finishing!
If you're working on your own UFO's use the hashtag #FinishItFriday on:
Twitter , Google+ , Facebook , and Instagram .
I'll be looking for them to share but it always helps if you remember to tag me at Purfylle.
See previous Finish It Friday projects.