Which Stitch Markers Are Best

When I first took up crochet I didn't have any stitch markers, I didn't even know stitch markers existed. It wasn't long before I knew about them and I learnt the value of using stitch markers, aka stitch savers. That first frustrating experience of when a project accidentally unravels because there's nothing holding onto the stitch to stop it coming undone or your crochet circle grows in ways it isn't supposed to and the worth of this tiny tool became obvious very quickly. But there are so many styles of stitch marker to choose from, locking, circle, coil-less, plastic, safety pins, thread, 3D printed... does it really make a difference which one you use? Is it just how pretty they are? I walk you through a dozen different stitch markers from items you have lying around your home to the fancy artisan styles. I share with you what features to look for and those that don't really hold up to the task.

New lace bobbins and cookie pillow

I love it when the postman brings me presents, its even better when those presents are from my lovely man.

The timing couldn't be more perfect, as I've got my
cookie pillow made, my caul pattern drafted and nearly have all the skills I need to make it.  I was just short about a 100 bobbins or so, but not any more now I've got my square bobbins.

These Lacis bobbins are pretty much the cheapest wooden bobbins available and I thought you might want to know how much they were. (yep, that's my affiliate links so if you use that link your helping support this blog!)

So I covered my cookie pillow in some hideous plain weave cotton that holds it's shape well and gets used only for toiles. It will suffice until I find something more suitable.
40 bobbins
Then I got to making a miniature version of the caul. The nice finish on the new bobbins meant I was able to use finer threads and the pattern allows me to learn the last few techniques I need to make an Eleanora caul. I used Anchor stranded embroidery thread and I split the 6 strands into 2 lots of 3 strands. I don't think I would want to go any finer on the thread for a caul, in fact a bit thicker might be better but once you start using metallic threads the rules on thickness tend to change a bit. 

crooked progress photo
 my DH hates crooked photos so this one's for him 

I was going to show you all the steps of making my cookie pillow, but I didn't take enough photos so here's the quick version. A bit of ply wood cut in a bad circle with the edges sanded, a bit of spray glue then styrofoam pressed on then some garage door protector foam stuck on top of that which comes with an adhesive backing.  

I used our home made hot wire cutter to trim the edges and tried to get a bit of a slope on the sides, which was kind of necessary because my foam was short about half an inch on two sides.

Yep, looking pretty rough. Then I sanded the edge with a fairly rough grit sand paper, you can see how much better the edge is.
before sanding

after sanding